Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Amber's Fam Update 8/13/08

Wow, I haven't written an update in 6 weeks! Is life getting back to normal? I don't know about that, but at least there are not as many dramatic events to report on; like Martha says, it's a good thing.

Race for the Cure
First things first... The Tulsa Race for the Cure event will be held on Sept. 20th. Jill's friend Mandi is organizing Jogging for Jill this year again (many thanks). You can donate or sign up to walk at the link below. We had a great turnout last year and hope to continue this year. As we all know, breast cancer affects so many women that most of us know someone who could benefit from the moneys raised at this event. What a good cause...

http://rfctu.convio.net/site/TR/Race/General?team_id=4640&pg=team&fr_id=1050


4th
On the 4th of July, Jill and I went to Bricktown in OKC. We strolled around the Riverwalk, had a couple cocktails, and watched the fireworks. We missed being with Peyton and Lainey; they were with their dad. Bricktown was cool, but at the end of the night (like at midnight), tons of young people started pouring into the area. The cops were saying over the loud speaker, "Anyone under 18 will be taken to county jail!!" Makes me glad to live in T-town.

Channel 6 Follow Up Interview
LeAnn Taylor of Channel 6 News did a follow up story on Jill's journey through breast cancer treatment and recovery. She and her crew came to Jill's house and interviewed Jill and Peyton. The segment will likely air sometime in September near the Race for the Cure event. As always, Jill was comfortable and well spoken in front of the camera. Peyton was a little shier this time... It's interesting to see her transformation from chatty 4 year old to a more mature 5 year old who is somewhat reserved. Not sure when it will air exactly, but when I know, I'll send out a message.

The girls
The girls are such a joy to be around right now. Peyton loves to play on the computer (and can operate it as well as we can), and has been capturing dragonflies, toads, and other insects in her insect box. The box is a little plastic cage with mesh wiring. Jill had to explain to her if she kept them too long, they would die, so they've set free many a scared bug!! Lainey is running everywhere and is starting to talk now. She says Hi all the time, and if you're lucky, she'll blow you a kiss. If you sit on the floor, she'll run by and from time to time, jump on you and give you hugs. Needless to say, we sit on the floor a lot. So sweet! Also, Peyton will start Kindergarten next week at Jill's school. She's been enjoying going to work with Mom this week, playing with other teachers' kids, and getting special access to the school.

Mom and Dad
Dad and Mom are building a house in Sand Springs (Prattville) so they can be where the action is (read: grandkids). The house is on a big flat lot, and I know they are relieved to not have to take care of the ole paradise they used to have in Stroud. Trees, pond, foliage, pool, flower gardens all equal WORK. Who has time for that when Peyton and Lainey await Momo and Poppy?!?

Moi
I've been clearing out brush in my backyard in order to have a better view of the golf course. Hacking away at scrubby bushes with my trusty hatchet is pretty therapeutic. Also had a little ring-tailed visitor as of late. Mr. Coon as I call him, has disturbed my sleep more than once. Before I knew it was a raccoon making all the ruckus, I was lurking about the house in the wee hours of the night with my revolver... expecting an intruder only to find it was Mr. Coon from the creek behind my house. As a matter of fact, just a minute ago, he tumped over Beowulf's (my cat) water bowl and scared me half to death. He's alright with me - long as he doesn't steal anymore bird feed. :o)

Love,

Amber

P.S. I have tried to keep up with the birthdays, but I'm doing a miserable job. Wanted to wish everyone a happy birthday ON their birthday, but I am just not that organized. The best intentions...
P.P.S. Love you Mema.



And now for the pics!

Ducks on the man made river in Bricktown, OKC




Peyton and LeAnn - two very pretty girls!


What Lainey does best!


Little Miss Blue Eyes Ketchup Lips (Her Indian name)


Feeding Lainey Sour Food - It never gets old!

Lainey Paige - In her 70s outfit

No comments: